Residential Adaptation Assistance Program (RAAP)

Residential Adaptation Assistance Program (RAAP)

The Residential Adaptation Assistance Program ensures that people with a disability are able to enter and exit their home, perform their daily routines, and therefore continue to reside in their own home. The program applies to people with a permanent disability. This program provides financial support for the following adaptation work.


All people with disabilities whose limitations affect their everyday activities are eligible for assistance, provided:

  • They submit a report from an occupational therapist, demonstrating that their impairment is significant and persistent, and that the disability requires alterations to their home;
  • They are not eligible for residential adaptation assistance under the insurance plans offered by the SAAQ or the CNESST.

Other conditions may apply.


Available assistance

Financial assistance may be as much as $16,000 per eligible person. In certain specific cases determined by the Société d’habitation du Québec, an additional amount of up to $7,000 may be paid.

In cases where specialized equipment is required, additional assistance not exceeding $10,000 may also be paid, based on criteria determined by the Société d’habitation du Québec.

The financial assistance is remitted to the owner of the residential unit. It is highly likely that the grant will not cover the total cost of the work and that the owner will have to pay the difference.


Admissible work

The admissible work is determined by the municipal partner based on the terms of the program and the recommendations made by the occupational therapist. This work must meet the needs of the person with a disability.

Work is admissible if:

  • It modifies and adapts the residence of the person with a disability so that person can enter and exit the unit, access essential rooms (bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, dining room and living room) without assistance and perform all essential daily routines;
  • It constitutes a simple, functional, low-cost solution;
  • It is permanent in nature.

    • Installation of an outside access ramp
    • Remodelling of a bathroom
    • Widening of door frames

Work performed before authorization is granted by the municipality, regional county municipality or the Société d’habitation du Québec will not receive financial assistance.


Program applications

The Société d’habitation du Québec has entrusted municipalities and regional county municipalities (RCMs) with responsibility for managing the Program. The health and social services network is also involved in the production of occupational therapists’ reports.


  1. You should obtain a copy of the Program registration form from your local community services centre (CLSC) or from the Société d’habitation du Québec (SHQ). Once completed, the form should be sent to the SHQ, along with the necessary supporting documents.
    If you are a tenant, you must first obtain your landlord’s permission for the work to be carried out in your dwelling. The landlord, as the building’s owner, must also complete part of the application form.
  2. The SHQ then forwards your application to your municipality or regional county municipality (RCM) and to the health institution responsible for producing the occupational therapist’s report.
  3. A representative from the municipality or RCM will visit your home and draw up a list of admissible work, based on the occupational therapist’s recommendations.
  4. The homeowner must obtain one or more bids from contractors holding the appropriate licences from the Régie du bâtiment du Québec.
  5. The owner must await authorization from the municipality, RCM or SHQ before having the work performed. (Failure to comply with this requirement shall automatically disqualify the work for a grant.)
  6. The homeowner will receive the financial assistance once the work has been completed and the municipality or RCM has checked to ensure that it has been carried out as agreed.


For further information

Contact your municipaly or your MRC, your CLSC ou the Société d’habitation du Québec.